Wednesday 12 March 2008

Mar 11, 2008: Following further FAIRBAIRNs

Having great fun sorting out and revisiting assorted FAIRBAIRN families.
Roy mentioned blacksmiths today. So I reviewed what I knew about the Ednam blacksmith families only to find one connection I hadn't realised before, and another potential one, and of course, a new puzzle or two.
Reading the Galashiels OPR the other day re-checking that William F. definitely wasn't there, I came across the 1802 birth/baptism for John F. son of William FAIRBAIRN and Margaret THOMSON of "New Wooll". I believe this John to be the one who married Margaret SINTON and emigrated to Blandford, Ontario between 1835 and 1838. Two of their children were born when they were at Fairnalee, Galashiels, so when I found an 80 year old William FAIRBAIRN in the 1841 census at Fairnalee, I assumed he was John's father.
So far so good, apart from the fact that I also have a William FAIRBAIRN and Margaret THOMSON as the grandfather (via their son Edward) of a William FAIRBAIRN born New Wooler 1823. And I also have that William as buried in Ednam aged 61 in 1817. So, of an age, and place, but can't be both dead and alive in 1841. More work needed.
The potential connection with this family of blacksmiths is via this 1823 William's dtr Fanny who married an Archibald Henderson FAIRBAIRN, a potential descendant of one or t'other of the Archibalds.
FAIRBAIRN Surname DNA project Patriarch pages updated with the pedigree of the above Archibald Henderson FAIRBAIRN's family in the hope that a descendant might join the project and help pinpoint where that family fits too.

No comments:

Post a Comment