Monday 5 July 2010

Meikle Pinkerton

With my research on yet another branch of RUNCIMANs from Dunbar, that of Alexander RUNCIMAN and Janet HENDRIE and family, the place Mi(c)kle Pinkerton popped up in the OPRs.
My very preliminary attempts at finding such a wonderful placename didn't led me to it, and I put that thought to one side.
Reading the WDYTYA mag popped up several sites useful for place names and I decided to try again, just using Pinkerton.
The Scottish place-Name Society didn't help, but looked interesting.
However, Scotland's Places came up trumps, and armed with a more modern spelling of Meikle Pinkerton, Geograph did as well.
There's a wonderful old Doocot there,
 © Copyright Lisa Jarvis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
On google street view, views of the farm and area that you can pan around, complete with a couple in the parking area waving to the camera.

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment