Sunday 7 August 2011

Railway records

The heading is a bit of a misnomer.
I was following information that Ancestry had included a number of Railway records and thought I'd see what I could find about Sir Robert TURNBULL and his railway oriented offspring.
Oddly enough, and most unusually (not), I got sidetracked once I realised that it had been some time since I last checked what might now be more readily available for this family.
A number of wills have now been found in the England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1861-1941, and several death dates and places found for assorted TURNBULLs, and the SPEAKMAN offspring in particular.
Along the way I found that one descendant, Lionel SPEAKMAN, went from Manager of the Furness Railway Co. to become London Manager, later Board Member, for Dalgety & Co. He appears in shipping records to-ing and fro-ing between the UK and Australia/New Zealand, and on one trip, was over in Perth catching up on his brother Robert Percy SPEAKMAN, who appears to have tried his hand at the Murchison Goldfields before taking up farming in Western Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment